Buscar este blog

viernes, 28 de noviembre de 2014

Tomb Cleaner - Limpia Tumbas

English version first, versión en español después.


Roldanillo Cementery Cementerio
Can you spot the bad grammar?

Odd things had happened to me in the last days. One afternoon I fell slept and when I woke up there was a baby cat on my chest. I climbed the mountain of Tres Cruces (Three Crosses) and I almost stepped on a green snake that was sleeping in the middle of the road. But the most weird thing happened to me yesterday, when I accompanied my father to clean the tomb of my grandfather.

The idea was to clean two tombs, the one of my grandfather Jesús Antonio García Varela, father of my father, and the one of my great-grandmother which name escapes me in this moment, she was the mother of the mother of my father. I met her in the last days of her life, and I remember her as a very nice lady who wasn't able to get up from her bed, and that gave me candies full of ants, which didn't stop me of eating it with the voracity of a fat kid of ten years old. To my grandfather Jesús Antonio, or Mondego as he was nicknamed, I can't forget him even if I want to. And sometimes I want to.

My grandfather Mondego was a man despot, cruel and capricious. A countryside's man that demanded absolute obedience. He raised my father with daily blows. Even as an adult with a women and child, my father still feared him. When my parents bought a color TV, my grandfather Mondego protested with vehemence, claiming that would be more cheaper to get a back and white TV. So when my parents bought a oven, they kept it as a secret from him. If my grandfather Mondego visited the house, my parents putted a tablecloth over the oven and pretended that it was another furniture.



It is not weird that I had shivers from my feet to my head when my grandfather visited us in the farm. Because the farm belonged to him, and my father only managed it, my grandfather Mondego came without warning and prowled everywhere with hawk's eyes, stalking the smallest fault. One time I was carrying a bucket full of milk and I did run into my grandfather Mondego face to face He proceeded to yell me because, according to him, I did not carried the milk properly. He scared me so much, that I let the bucket fell and the milk got completely spilled. Then he yelled more and I cried.

Another memory that I have of him, it is dropping a sack full of babies-cats along the walk.

One time I asked him a calf as a gift, just like he did with another cousins of mine. My petition was as timid as cutting his denial.

I always suspected that he hated us. To my mom because she was of dark skin, to my father for getting married with my mom, and to me because I was the grandchild that most resembled the traits of the Garcia's family. I confirmed my suspicions an October 4 of 1995, a day that my father was celebrating his birthday, and the fateful day that my grandfather Mondego chose to hung himself on a mango tree, and shooting a bullet on his temple at the same time.

I don't now what is sadder, to think that he chose on purpose that day to show how much disgust he felt for my father, or that he cared so little that he didn't even remembered the birthday of his own son.

My grandfather killed himself because he suffered a very painful variation of Arthritis. Or that was what they told me later. At first they told me that he had fell from the mango tree in an accident. I thought it was true, because when I was a child I was gullible in extreme. As my cousins told me the terrible truth, a part of me felt relief. Because his death hadn't been so ridiculous, and because dying should not be so easy if my grandfather had wanted to double check.

I cleaned the tomb of my grandfather with swiftness and efficiency. I really wished leave that place to visit my grandfather Jesus Antonio León Botero's tomb, father of my mom, and who died the last year, from old year and with a few memories, loved and cried for all his family. I was to his tomb, I cleaned it superfluously, giving that it wasn't dirty, and as a last thing I prayed, asking to the stern but kind image of my grandfather, that he allowed me to being more like him and not like my another grandfather.

Twitter

...

Facebook


Me han pasado cosas curiosas en los últimos días. Una tarde me quedé dormido y al despertar un gato bebe estaba dormido sobre mi pecho. Subí a la montaña de las Tres Cruces y casi piso por error a una culebra verde que estaba dormida en la mitad del camino. Aunque la más rara me ocurrió ayer, que acompañé a mi padre a limpiar la tumba de mi abuelo.

La idea era limpiar dos tumbas, la de mi abuelo Jesús Antonio García Varela, padre de mi padre, y la de mi bisabuela cuyo nombre se me escapa en este momento, la madre de la madre de mi padre. A ella la conocí en sus últimos años de vida, y la recuerdo como una señora muy amable que no podía levantarse de la cama, y que me regalaba dulces llenos de hormigas, lo que no impedía que me los comiera con la voracidad de un niño gordo de diez años. A mi abuelo Jesús Antonio, o Mondego como lo apodaban, no lo podría olvidar aunque quisiera. Y a veces lo he querido.

Mi abuelo Mondego era un hombre déspota, cruel y caprichoso. Un hombre del campo que demandaba obediencia absoluta. A mi padre lo crió con correazos diarios. Aún cuando era un adulto con mujer e hijos, mi padre le seguía temiendo. Cuando mis padres compraron un televisor a color, mi abuelo Mondego protestó con vehemencia, alegando que hubiera sido más barato conseguir un televisor a blanco y negro. Así que cuando mis padres compraron un horno, lo mantuvieron en secreto de él. Si mi abuelo Mondego visitaba la casa, mis padres le ponían un mantel encima al horno y pretendían que era un mueble más.

No es de extrañar que yo temblara de pies a cabeza cada vez que mi abuelo nos visitaba en la finca. Como la finca le pertenecía a él, y mi padre sólo la administraba, mi abuelo Mondego llegaba sin avisar y merodeaba por todos lados con ojos de halcón, acechando la más mínima falta. Una vez estaba yo cargado un balde rebosante de leche fresca y me topé a mi abuelo Mondego de frente. Él procedió de inmediato a gritarme porque, según él, no cargaba la leche adecuadamente. Me pegó tal susto, que dejé caer el balde y la leche se derramó por completo. Luego él gritó más y yo lloré.

Otro recuerdo que tengo de él, es botando una bolsa llena de gatos bebes en el camino.

Una vez le pedí que me regalara un ternero, al igual que había hecho con otros primas y primas míos. Mi petición fue tan tímida como cortante su negativa.

Siempre sospeché que nos odiaba. A mi mamá por ser de piel morena, a mi padre por haberse casado con mi mamá, y a mí por ser el nieto que había heredado con mayor parecido los rasgos de la familia García. Confirmé mis sospechas un 4 de Octubre de 1995, un día que mi padre cumplía años, y el fatídico día que mi abuelo Mondego escogió para ahorcarse de un palo de mango, y pegarse un tiro en la sien al mismo tiempo.

No sé que es más triste, pensar que a propósito escogió ese día para demostrar lo mucho que le desagradaba mi padre, o que le importara tan poco que ni siquiera recordara que era el cumpleaños de su hijo.

Mi abuelo se suicidó porque sufría una versión muy dolorosa de Artritis. O eso me dijeron luego. En un principio me contaron que se había caído del palo de mango por accidente. Lo creí cierto, porque cuando niño era en extremo crédulo. Cuando mis primos me revelaron la terrible verdad, una parte de mí se sintió aliviado. Porque su muerte no había sido tan ridícula, y porque morirse no debía ser tan fácil si mi abuelo se había querido cerciorar por partida doble.

Limpié la tumba de mi abuelo Mondego con presteza y eficiencia. Realmente quería irme de allí pronto para visitar la tumba de mi abuelo Jesús Antonio León Botero, padre de mi madre, y quien murió el año pasado, de viejo y con pocos recuerdos, amado y llorado por toda su familia. Fui a su tumba, la limpié superficialmente, puesto que no estaba muy sucia, y por último recé, pidiéndole a la imagen severa pero bondadosa de mi abuelo, que me permitiera parecerme más a él y no a mi otro abuelo.

No hay comentarios: